Photo by Johnny Manzanita
Touring is all about being the tortoise, not the hare and I don’t think I’ve even seen a more fitting photo before. For some touring vibes, head over to Johnny Manzanita’s Flickr.
The northwest offers up some superb riding, best tackled via touring or credit card touring. The long, arduous days clear the mind and purge all weight that found itself on your shoulders. Sandy Carson, Taj Mihelich and Seth Holton have an excellent Photogallery up on Defgrip from their recent tour. You’ve gotta check it out! As a side note: Taj did this on his Weekender, a great 1×10 “light tourer”.
Wow. To think that Fairdale started off last year with really simple singlespeeds and have branched out into everyone’s soon-to-be-favorite commuter bikes… The new Fairdale line is looking great. From the simple chromed Coaster, to the Flyer 26″ cruiser, Step-through 26″ (check out the top tube flip!) and the Weekender Disk, the whole line has something for everyone. Your local Full Factory-distributed shop will have these in stock at the end of the month.
The coolest thing about the Weekender is that Taj is about to embark on one of the best touring routes in the country on Saturday. He’s taking his Weekender from Portland to SF on a two-week tour with Sandy Carson. Jealous!
In case you haven’t been checking in the Great Escape, here’s what they’ve been up to: Mt Lassen, all to themselves. Not bad! Check out more at the Great Escape.
Raddest flier ever? Maybe. This in from Fairdale:
“SANDY CARSON has organized a near 1000 mile bike ride from Seattle to San Francisco to raise money for the Humane Society.
Check out this LINK if you’d like to help some poor little puppies and kitties. We’ll be heading out for the pedal in June so look for daily updates then.”
Sick! Taj, keep me posted, I’m down!
Excuse the lack of updates today, I’m slowly recovering from a week of madness in SF. These few stragglers were left on a roll of Neopan 400 during the Colorado Bend State Park ride we went on last month. Black and white really captures the looming skies and textures of the ride. I’m digging these!
Click on the above photo to launch the gallery, or here to open in a new tab.
What can I say? I was jamming out to Weedeater during this ride and the title “God Luck and Good Speed” just stuck. We woke up at 6am on Friday and hammered it out to Colorado Bend State Park in Bend, TX. The first day was 118 miles and 4,900′. Initially, I was planning on taking us through 2222 and the hills on the east side of Lake Travis but we found 71 to 281 was actually quite pleasant with the lack of traffic. Doing so shaved off 3,000′ of elevation and after we rolled in on the 8-mile long gravel park-access road on Friday afternoon, I don’t think anyone regretted it.
The gear we packed was light. I brought the Woodville out with two panniers, a tent and my handlebar bag. Jon took a backpack and tarps and Ross was packing the lightest with about 15 lbs. Camping at C.B.S.P. is “primitive” but it’s exactly what we all needed. We cooked and hauled our own food, slept until dawn and consumed far fewer calories than we burned. We woke up Saturday and hiked about 15 miles to Gorman falls before dipping into some lagoons. It was amazing.
Yesterday was a different story. The climb out of the park was made worse by the hour-long torrential downpour. I had a rain jacket, Ross and Jon did not. They were shivering by the time we made it to the first outpost. Shit coffee and loaner wool made it bearable. As well as the local’s commentary: “ya’ll been feeshin’?” “no we’re riding back to Austin” “….” From there, we made great time, save for the flats and stops for food. I pulled hard and I’m feeling it now. There were a few stretches where we pace-lined it for over 10 miles and well over 25mph. We reeled in 116 miles and 4,100′.
My legs hurt for the first time since my “walkabout” in he Aussie bush.
Here’s to the first of many summer-time weekenders. More to come once my film gets developed.
How was your weekend?
Bicycle touring really is surreal. My group of friends and I have been talking about doing a little Texas tour for a few weeks now and I can’t explain to them what makes touring different than just going out and doing a century on your road bike. Maybe this video by Sindre Ulvik Péladeau tells the tale? Everything looks correct to me.
Note from the road: water bottle squirt stops 90% of dogs in their tracks. For the other 10%, just throw food items.